About the Steve O Zone


Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Commercial Or Movie?

I have long held the belief that many ad agency creative directors are frustrated filmmakers. Seriously, I think many of them have secret and some not-so-secret desires to make movies... big, theatrical productions on an epic scale.

I think many of these same creative directors prey on the fact that, like them, many of their clients, share the same desire to be "in the movies" or as close to it as possible. Hell, let's face it, we ALL would love to make movies/be in the movies, right?

Hell, I have my hand raised... I want to make movies, write for movies, be in the movies and all that jazz. I have even penned a few scripts and actually had one movie which I co-wrote created and released. It was called 9th & Bay and here's the trailer for it just in case you were curious, I know you were...



But... when it comes to advertising, whose goal I believe, is still to move products off store shelves, in a matter of speaking, I can never understand why so many TV spots are made as if they were being made to be shown in a crowded theater as opposed to your living room.

How else do you explain this?



Jeezus are you kidding me? With its Austin Powers/James Bond look, feel and sound to the repulsive scene of the lead actor pulling the bottle of beer out of his mouth in a moment of one-upsmanship with his fellow prestidigitator  to the Pulp Fiction-esque dance scene near the end - hey it reminded me of Pulp Fiction, sue me - someone please explain to me what this has to do with beer and the selling thereof.

That's a minute and 30 seconds of my life I will never get back thank you very much. I can just imagine what the cost was to make it.

Maybe this is just another example of a brand having so much money and so much brand equity that it can pretty much do whatever the hell it wants and if it wants to create a TV spot to enter into Caanes and other award competitions, so be it. If we sell beer, great. If not, oh well... at least we made this rad cool spot.

Oh and for the record, I don't drink beer or any other form of alcohol for that matter but I can assure you that if I did watching this commercial would not make me want to run out and buy a 6-pack.

One last thing... what do you think this guy in the spot does for an encore? Surely his date will be expecting him to raise the bar - no pun intended, next time, right? Wonder how much that spot will cost?

Share/Bookmark

No comments: