About the Steve O Zone


Thursday, October 20, 2011

Happy Birthday To My Baby Girl...

Twelve years ago today my wife and I welcomed our first child, a daughter, into this world. Since then we also have a son and while there is most assuredly a father-son dynamic my son and I have going on, there is nothing quite like the relationship between a father and his daughter. 


Any other fathers out there who have daughters will know precisely what I mean. There is something incredibly emotional that goes on between a father an daughter. 


To say the past twelve years have flown by at supersonic, warp speed would be an understatement to say the least. I have seen my little girl change literally in the blink of an eye and in some ways I am thrilled to see her grow, but I am also deeply saddened because sometimes I miss My Baby Girl... 


I wrote this poem about 6 months after she was born and the words are just as true today as they were the day I put "pen to paper."


And no matter how old she gets, she will ALWAYS be My Baby Girl... 



My Baby Girl is everything to me, 

She's the light of my life, 
She's my reason to be. 

My Baby Girl can ease my pain, 
Just by smiling at me, 
Again and again. 

My Baby Girl is one of a kind, 
Don't believe me? 
You're out of your mind. 

My Baby Girl is as pretty as her mother, 
And that's saying a lot, 
Cause her Mom's like no other. 

My Baby Girl is my whole world, 
She's simply the best, 
Cause she's My Baby Girl. 

Copyright ©2000 Steve Olenski 




Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Valerie Iravani said...

Hi Steve,

My husband feels the same exact way. My daughter was recently married and moved to her own home. She lives close and stops by 2-4 times each week for lunch or a nap in between her appointments.

It's still very difficult for my husband to accept that she no longer lives in our house. Whereas I prepared myself for the empty next and relish the fact that my kids are capable adults, my husband still longs for previous days.

His princess will always be the light of his heart - so enjoy it while you can. But try to prepare yourself at some point for having her living away from you.

The Fantasy Football Hub said...

Hi Valerie,

I know from seeing my older brothers go thru this with their daughters how emotionally tough it can be and I am surely not looking forward to that day as you reference but I am equally curious to see the incredible young adult she will surely become...

Thanks for sharing your story with me...

Steve O