No, not that kind of debate. There’s still more pat-on-the-backs that we must endure at the GOP Convention before we can commence with the Donkey vs. the Elephant, steel cage, podium-style.
The debate I am referring to is the one currently running on ESPN re: the NFL’s best fans.
I know we’ve been down this road a thousand times but hey, debates are fun, right? Unless of course you’re Dan Quayle.
But I digress…
The ESPN debate used a slightly-less than scientific approach: They asked eight bloggers (one from each division) from around the country to participate. And no, yours truly was not asked to partake. An egregious action if there ever were one.
The eight bloggers rated fan bases in their divisions over the past five seasons on the following criteria ofunnyn a scale from 1 to 5, with 1 being the best:
• Stadium factor: Loud? Great atmosphere?
• Live and die factor: Fans take loss hard? (That's a good thing.)
• Traveling road show factor: Big presence in other guys' stadium?
• Loyalty when team sucks: You score points if you stick with a loser.
• Hate factor: Other teams' fans dislike your fans? (Hate is good in their book.)
• Tailgate factor: Home tailgates sizzling or stale?
• Home fans' creativity: Wacky ideas … or not?
Before I tell you who came in first, here’s how Eagles’ fans scored:
• Stadium factor: 2
• Live and die factor: 1
• Traveling road show factor: 3
• Loyalty when team sucks: 2
• Hate factor: 2
• Tailgate factor: 1
• Home fans' creativity: 2
Total Score: 13
So right off the bat, some things jump right out at you. Clearly, Matt Mosley, the blogger who did the NFC East scoring, hasn’t been to an Eagles game in some time. Hate factor of 2? Is he kidding? Traveling road show a 3? Hello! People mortgaged their freaking homes to go to the Super Bowl a few years ago for chrissakes.
Ok, need to take a deep breath and remember this is just one man’s opinion. One uneducated man, but only one opinion nonetheless.
For the record, the Eagles’ fans score of 13 was good for 4th place. (Chiefs’ fans actually also scored a 13 but somehow Eagles’ fans were placed above them in a tiebreaker)
Coming in first place with a score of 10 was the Pittsburgh Steelers’ fans. Again there was a tie as the Packers’ fans also scored 10 but were relegated to bridesmaid based on a tiebreaker.
The top 10 in order are:
‘Til next time.