About the Steve O Zone


Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Ongoing Trials & Tribulations Of An Unemployed Writer/Social Media Evangelist/New Business Catalyst

Recently, I passed the two-month anniversary of my being unemployed. My wife and kids threw me a huge party with balloons, streamers, party hats and they even hung banners all around our house...

OVER QUALIFIED!

UNDER QUALIFIED!

SORRY, THIS JOB IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE!

I have to tell you it was one helluva party.

Obviously I am being just a tad sarcastic but hey, that's me. I have to be sarcastic and find humor wherever I can and I usually can find it. Although I have to admit my search for humor is getting harder and harder.

Funny how the longer my job search goes the harder it is for me to find humor in it.

Sleepless nights are common as is the added stress and tension that can't help but creep in to one's everyday life when dealing with the loss of a job and subsequent search for a new one.

Thankfully I have My Rock to both lean on and keep me balanced and focused on what's really important such as little things like our health and the health of our children.

Really, does anything else matter?

My wife Terri is both my biggest fan and staunchest critic and I wouldn't have it any other way. How she is still with and puts up with me is right up there with how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. 

The world may never know... 

###

Over the course of my occupational odyssey I have met some incredible people and some not so-incredible people, shall we say.

I have and continue to work with a wide number of recruiters and of course continue to scour all the usual suspects re: jobs - the monsters, careerbuilders, craigslists, indeeds and so on of the world. 

I have been on many an interview - both on the agency side as well as the client side.

I continue to use the network of publications I scribe for - Forbes, Social Media Today, Business 2 Community, Business Insider and so on to help get my message out while blogging/writing about the things I know most about and am most passionate about: social media, advertising, marketing and branding.

My byline for every article I write reads as follows:

Named one of the Top 100 Influencers In Social Media (#41) by Social Technology Review, Steve Olenski is a freelance writer/blogger currently looking for full-time work. He has worked on some of the biggest brands in the world and has over 20 years experience in advertising and marketing. He lives in Philly and can be reached via email,TwitterLinkedIn or his website.

This byline has led to some truly wonderful opportunities both on a freelance basis as well as providing me with full time job possibilities.

###

Not long ago I came upon the Society of Digital Agencies' Digital Marketing Outlook for 2012 via my good friend whom I-have-never-met-in-person-but-will-one-day Drew McLellan.

Drew is a great example of the truly wonderful people I have met over the years all thanks to social media. And believe there are many, many more. 

###

In their Digital Marketing Outlook for 2012, the Society of Digital Agencies identified what they believe is the talent/skill that has the most priority and those that companies and agencies alike will look for and want in their employees...

Blog writing, editing and copywriting.  

Mix in social media, concept/brand development and ideation and you have just described yours truly to a t with a capital T.

March Madness, AKA The Big Dance, will be coming to a close this coming Monday.

But there's a much bigger dance that's going on as we speak and it involves advertisers/marketers and consumers.  And make no mistake about it, this particular dance is not ending anytime soon.

And no one knows as much about or is as passionate about this particular dance than me.

Anyone care to dance?

'Til next time,




Share/Bookmark

No comments: