About the Steve O Zone


Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Feeling Patriotic Today...

I know, I know... we're not supposed to share these kinds of sentiments on non-holidays, right?

I mean we're supposed to only wave our flag on our lawns and our cars and our lapels on days like Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, Flag Day, Veterans Day or September 11th, right?

Isn't that what many of us do? We get the flags out of the garage or shed or wherever and put them on our lawns as we enjoy a day off from work then we put them back again when the day is over.

C'mon admit it, you do this... I have my hand raised.

Lord knows America has its problems, not the least of which is our current political system, well maybe it's not the system but rather those at the controls but... this is, the last time I checked, the greatest goddamned country in the world, yes?

I think far too many of us take a lot of things we have in this country for granted each and every day of our lives, myself included.

So yes, I admit it here and now, I take for granted the freedoms we enjoy. I take for granted all that comes with being an American. I will try not to do that, at least as much, in the future.

But every now and then, it's always good to remember who we are...

“The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.” - John Fitzgerald Kennedy



Share/Bookmark

No comments: