About the Steve O Zone


Friday, March 14, 2008

The O Zone...


Am toying with renaming the BLOG, taking it for a test spin, tell me what you think.

As A Public Service...
As everyone knows, yours truly takes great pleasure in providing public services to, well... the public. Case in point I informed you of what you could have been watching during the past Super Bowl, i.e. the Death Wish and Murder She Wrote marathons on AMC and the Lifetime Channel, respectively. Of course I did not watch any these entertainment classics. Why would I? I have them on DVD, duh.

Today, I give you an easy to read, handy-dandy guide to this years Phillies broadcast team schedule. You may want to print this out and put a copy of it on the back of your remote. Based on what I could gather, this is what I think Phillies broadcast team schedule will be in 2008:

1st Inning
TV – Harry & Wheels
Radio – Scott Franzke & Larry Andersen

2nd Inning
TV – Harry & Wheels
Radio – Scott Franzke & LA

3rd Inning
TV – Harry & Sarge
Radio – Scott Franzke & LA

4th Inning
TV – Tom McCarthy & Sarge
Radio – Harry & LA

5th Inning
TV – Tom McCarthy & Sarge
Radio –Scott Franzke & LA

6th Inning
TV – Tom McCarthy & Wheels
Radio – Scott Franzke & LA

7th Inning
TV – Harry & Wheels
Radio – Scott Franzke & Larry Andersen

8th Inning
TV – Harry & Wheels
Radio – Scott Franzke & Larry Andersen

9th Inning
TV – Harry & Wheels
Radio – Scott Franzke & Larry Andersen

So unless my data is incorrect, it does not appear as though Wheels and Sarge will be working together. Quite frankly I would not blame Sarge one iota if he requested to not work with Wheels. I am on record as being a staunch anti-Wheels supporter. Another one you and I disagree about Jody, to go along with Ryan Madson and Lito Sheppard.

Took The Words Right Out Of His Mouth...
What coach said the following in describing his team?

"It's in front of our guys, what it takes to win. For whatever reason, I haven't brought it out in them. They're not committed to it. I think we have some talent issues on the defensive end. I think we have a commitment issue, too, which bothers me as a coach. To say the team wasn't ready to play, I've got to take responsibility for that because I think that's my job.We've got good players. They're good players. But they're not so good that we can be so bad on defense and really expect to win."

Give up? Think it was Flyers Coach John Stevens? Well the words certainly apply to the Flyers, don't they?

But it was not John Stevens who said them. It was Florida coach Billy Donovan after his Gators lost to Alabama in the first round of the SEC tournament.

I for one love when a coach openly questions his team, not in a disparaging way, which I don't think Donovan did. But in a way that gets them (hopefully) to sit up and take notice. I can't help wonder how things would be if a certain professional football coach in this town spoke with such candor.

What's In A Name?
Recently the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (It's actually referred to as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, no ampersand or 'N thank you very much, we are grammatically correct at the Halll) announced their 2008 Inductees. Among those performers being inducted are John Mellencamp, The Dave Clark Five and Madonna.

Before I continue, if memory serves didn't choice of location for the Hall comes down to either Philly or Cleveland and part of the reason they ultimately put the hall in Cleveland was due to Alan Freed.

Who is Alan Freed you ask?

He was a Cleveland disc jockey in the 1950s who was credited with coining and popularizing the term "rock and roll."

Ok, there's your history lesson for today boys and girls.

Where was I?

Oh yes, Madonna? Rock & Roll?

Obviously they are taking creative license with the term Rock & Roll when they allow in acts like Madonna and others who did perform what I would consider Rock & Roll music.

And looking at the roll call of past honorees some names jump out for NOT being on the list. Names like Neil Diamond, Hall & Oates, The Moody Blues, The Doobie Brothers and Genesis, to name a few glaring omissions.

It Must Be Shelly Cause Jam Don't Shake Like That...

This past Wednesday Yankees outfielder Shelley Duncan, he of the 34 game, .257 batting average major league career, was ejected from Wednesday's game for a hard, spikes up slide on Tampa Bay second baseman Akinori Iwamura in apparent retaliation for or the Rays' Elliot Johnson barreling over New York catcher Francisco Cervelli last Saturday.

Yesterday he spoke about the slide and is quite frankly surprised by the uproar it has caused.

"I saw it a couple times," Duncan said of the slide. "I still don't understand why they were as upset as they were."

Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon called the play "borderline criminal," to which Duncan replied "they won't change how I play the game. I'll continue to play the game as hard as I can. What matters to me the most is the respect of my coaching staff and my teammates."

Yeah, yeah that's well and good that you want the respect of your coaches and teammates but sliding heels up into another player's nether region is not the way to go about it. And spare me the 'I play the game the right way' crap, too. Duncan did in fact say precisely that on Thursday.

You think Derek Jeter makes a slide like that? No way. So what makes you think Shelley Duncan can and get away with it.

Please. And what's with the Shelley? How are we supposed to take anything serious from a guy named Shelley? I assume it's short for Sheldon, which would be lot more masculine sounding than Shelley I can assure you.

'Til next time.

Share/Bookmark

No comments: