About the Steve O Zone


Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Don't Judge A Book...

We all know that age old adage of the dangers of judging a book by its cover, blah, blah, blah... Not sure what book in particular was the inspiration for the author of this quote but the line of course means many different things to many different people. Take advertising for example...

Below I will show you a portion of an ad... not just any ad, but a vintage/retro ad. See if you can guess what each ad is (product/service/etc) for before scrolling down to see the correct answer and full ad.

NOTE: Click on each ad to make it larger.


Ad #1

Is this an ad for?
A: New set of cookware
B: The latest exercise device from Jack LaLanne "The Jaw Breaker"
C: Braces
D: None of the above


The correct answer is D. This is an ad for Dentyne, as in gum. As in WHAT THE F#@K???!! Gum. Savage. Sure, they're perfect together. Who better to shill for gum than a savage?


Ad #2

Is this an ad for?
A: A homebuilder
B: A giant umbrella
C: A children's toy
D: None of the above

The correct answer is C. This is an ad for Lincoln Logs. Yes, you read that right... Lincoln Logs. Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know it's not the same Lincoln Logs we played with as kids (it's not, is it?) but, c'mon people, you couldn't come up with a better name for your product? Will I be wearing Pampers underwear next? Don't answer that.



Ad #3


Is this an ad for?
A: New Samsonite luggage
B: New dress by Halston
C: New fold up spare tire
D: None of the above

The correct answer is C. I know what you're thinking... 'how can they get a round tire in a square container? Ye of little faith. This is America, kids. We can do anything. And look damn good doing it.


Finally, wanted to share this gem with you. It's not another ad, well that's a lie, it is an ad. But not one I want you to guess what it's about. You'll see what it's about. Oh boy, will you..


I honestly don't know where to start...

After perusing the titles, some obvious questions came to mind.

"Her St. Bernard"
  • What about "his" St. Bernard? Why was he left out? Does "Her St. Bernard" come with little barrel around his neck?
"Seven Dwarfs For Adults"
  • Why do I get the feeling the "Snow" is not so "White" in this version?
"Who Made the Maid"
  • All I can think about is Alice from The Brady Bunch or Florence from The Jeffersons. Yeah, that's hot...
Til next time.






Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Lilly said...

This was a GREAT post Steve. I love old advertisements for their humor factor is nothing else. I got them all wrong, all of them. For $2.98 I would buy the bok lol!! You made me laugh!

Smit said...

I love the old time ads! Nice post. I want that book for $2.98 it is a steal...."Who Made the Maid"? LOL. Nice job :)