About the Steve O Zone


Wednesday, January 21, 2009


Random reflections on a historic day and time in our nation's history...
  • Due to a previously scheduled appointment, I was unable to watch the entire slate of festivities yesterday. I was however able to see some via the TV in a doctor's waiting room and fortunately I was able to hear our new President's speech in its entirely in my car.
  • I found the speech to be thrilling, invigorating and refreshing to use but 3 of the many words one could use to describe such an oration
  • From his "mindful of the sacrifices borne by our ancestor" to his hope to put "an end to the petty grievances and false promises" to his recognition that "more often men and women obscure in their labor, who have carried us up the long, rugged path towards prosperity and freedom" and his proclamation to our enemies "that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist" and on and on... it was ALL eloquently stated with conviction of purpose and determination.
  • I said to my wife, as much as I loved what I heard and what I will continue to hear, I only hope people do not become hesitant in their own actions to their own part, rather assuming and hoping that this new President will collectively take us all up in his arms and carry us on toward greener pastures. In other words, I sincerely hope people are not merely content with sitting idly by waiting for their government to save them. Notice the choice of pronouns "WE" and "OURSELVES" in this line from the speech: Starting today, WE must pick ourselves up, dust OURSELVES off, and begin again the work of remaking America.
  • Not surprisingly right wingers like Rush used words like "uninspiring" and "generic buzzkill" and "clunker" to describe the speech. Shocking, isn't it? A right wing GOP buffoon like this not liking the new Democratic President's address? Wow... hard to believe. Once a jackass, always a jackass. Not a donkey of course, but a jackass. Big difference.
Ok, your turn. Tell me what you think and thought as you watched history unfold yesterday.

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Lilly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lilly said...

Hi Steve, thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving such a lovely comment.

The whole world is fascinated by Obama and his family. He went to school in Indonesia for 4 years, his father came from Africa and everyone is claiming him as their own. Given we went to war in Iraq we have been affected by the lies and deceipt of the Bush Administration so were happy to see him go.

I found his speech to be good but I am not normally won over by the rhetoric. I like to watch how they act instead. I LOVED seeing the excitement he shared with his family on his big day. Their genuine happiness and excitement shone through and the energy overflowed. I also LOVED the intimacy between he and his wife and somehow that should make a lot of people feel secure for many reasons. He strikes me as a good man who will do his best. I take it from media reports he has started his changes already. From our own experience here, the quicker he makes decisions the more positive it will be for people.

Strangely I have a post written about the very thing you mention. It is a grave mistake if people sit back thinking one man is going to solve this crisis. Everyone needs to be seeing the consequences of their actions and taking control of what they can. Very enjoyable post thanks.