Random reflections on a historic day and time in our nation's history...
- Due to a previously scheduled appointment, I was unable to watch the entire slate of festivities yesterday. I was however able to see some via the TV in a doctor's waiting room and fortunately I was able to hear our new President's speech in its entirely in my car.
- I found the speech to be thrilling, invigorating and refreshing to use but 3 of the many words one could use to describe such an oration
- From his "mindful of the sacrifices borne by our ancestor" to his hope to put "an end to the petty grievances and false promises" to his recognition that "more often men and women obscure in their labor, who have carried us up the long, rugged path towards prosperity and freedom" and his proclamation to our enemies "that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist" and on and on... it was ALL eloquently stated with conviction of purpose and determination.
- I said to my wife, as much as I loved what I heard and what I will continue to hear, I only hope people do not become hesitant in their own actions to their own part, rather assuming and hoping that this new President will collectively take us all up in his arms and carry us on toward greener pastures. In other words, I sincerely hope people are not merely content with sitting idly by waiting for their government to save them. Notice the choice of pronouns "WE" and "OURSELVES" in this line from the speech: Starting today, WE must pick ourselves up, dust OURSELVES off, and begin again the work of remaking America.
- Not surprisingly right wingers like Rush used words like "uninspiring" and "generic buzzkill" and "clunker" to describe the speech. Shocking, isn't it? A right wing GOP buffoon like this not liking the new Democratic President's address? Wow... hard to believe. Once a jackass, always a jackass. Not a donkey of course, but a jackass. Big difference.